Since we have talked about the emotional part of the brain, the mind, let’s talk about the physical health of the brain. The tissues that keeps our memory safe from dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
It has to be horrifying not to remember where or who your children and loved ones are. Worse, you can not remember who you are! It is somewhat normal to forget something once in a while like where you put your keys or your phone, but when you start forgetting where you are or why you went to the store or important dates like your birthday or anniversary it is time to get something done, right away. I have worked and cared for dementia and Alzheimer patients for over 15 years and it is a very lonely and agonizing disease. I have watched prominent and intelligent professional people turn into strangers to their own family and friends and to their self. It is Horrifying for them and it is horrifying to watch a loved one get to this point.
Dementia is a term used to describe cognitive decline, like problems with the thinking process for instance, understanding, reasoning, decision making, a loss of memory, rationality, intellect and social skills. Alzheimer’s, vascular dementia, Lewy Body dementia, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), Parkinson’s, ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease or motor neuron disease) and Huntington’s disease all come under the terms of dementia.
What is the cause of Dementia?
Environmental toxins like fluoride and the lack of certain nutrients, that our brain has needed for years, is the main cause of Dementia. But stroke, head injuries ( like the football players and boxers), and brain tumors, which may result in vascular damage, causes dementia.
“Drugs that block acetylcholine, a nervous system neurotransmitter, have been shown to increase your risk of dementia. These drugs include certain night-time pain relievers, antihistamines, sleep aids, certain antidepressants, medications to control incontinence, and certain narcotic pain relievers. Statin drugs are particularly problematic because they suppress the synthesis of cholesterol, depleting your brain of coenzyme Q10 and neurotransmitter precursors, and prevent adequate delivery of essential fatty acids and fat-soluble antioxidants to your brain by inhibiting the production of the indispensable carrier biomolecule known as low-density “lipoprotein”. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/06/13/alzheimers-dementia-treatment.aspx
Alzheimer’s disease is currently at epidemic proportions, with 5.4 million Americans—including one in eight people aged 65 and over—living with it. There is no known cure, and few truly effective treatments except natural nutrients like, coconut oil, omega-3 fatty acids (click this link written by Dr, Mary Newport ),which is found in salmon(fish),nuts, and olive oil, coQ10 supplements, ginkgo biloba, these have shown to be amazing and effective.
- Research suggests the best hope is in prevention, focusing on diet, exercise and staying mentally active.
- Two recent studies show that compounds in cinnamon, and vitamins B12, B6, and folate may delay the onset and/or slow progression of the disease
- Vitamin treatment consisting of 0.8 mg folic acid, 20 mg vitamin B6 and 0.5 mg vitamin B12 slowed shrinkage of the whole brain volume over the course of two years
- The vitamin treatment also reduced, by as much as seven-fold, the cerebral atrophy in certain brain regions that are particularly vulnerable to damage associated with Alzheimer’s disease
- Research suggests that being exposed to general anesthesia can increase the risk of dementia in the elderly by as much as 35 percent.
- Dementia and Alzheimer’s are horrible and cruel diseases.Every 4 seconds some unfortunate person is diagnosed with Dementia and 60-80% is Alzheimer’s. But new research has proven it is completely reversible. That is fantastic news !
THINGS WE CAN DO TO KEEP OUR BRAIN ALERT AND HEALTHY :
- Challenge yourself by learning something new every day.
- Read a new story.
- Put puzzles together
- Do crossword, word search,etc..
- Take a new class for art, music, new hobby.
- Go back to school and take that class you always wanted, hey go after your Master’s – don’t let anyone tell you that you are too old!
- Pay it forward-volunteer to help at a school or library( read to the kids), or a hospital, church, soup kitchen.
- Teach a community class on something you love to talk about.
- Travel and meet new people.
- Learn how to build your own website and blog as much as you want. You have learned a few things in your life and there are millions out there wanting to learn what you already know. Go to Wealthy Affiliate and get 2 free websites. Supplement your income 24/7. They will teach you everything you need to know for your websites. It’s awesome. I have been there for 3 months and know seniors that have been there for years and loves it. Put away your credit card and try it out. They encourage you and help you all the way.
We Truly Are a COMMUNITY….
And one that cares about one another. We have always had a “pay it forward” mentality with every update, evolution and improvement here at WA and our focus on the community aspect of WA is going to continue as strong as ever in 2017. It is going to the “year of helping others” at WA and we can’t wait!
There has been no greater privilege over the years than to see someone accomplish something they never thought was possible. Build their first website, generate their first online income, quit their job, scale their business, and achieve the 1,000’s of other smaller successes that take place each and every day here within WA.
We are truly a “Pay it Forward” community at Wealthy Affiliate University.
Keep your brain healthy!